Extension Mathematics: University Admissions Prep
King’s Maths School are offering year 12 Extension Mathematics sessions.
These weekly sessions will be an opportunity to discuss challenging (but fun!) mathematics, and hence to develop problem-solving skills by extending Y12 content to new situations. We will look at past MAT, TMUA, and STEP questions which will prepare you for UKMT or Olympiad style competitions. In time, this will lead naturally to preparation for anybody considering a degree in Mathematics at a top university. Essentially the focus will be on meaningful mathematics enrichment.
Sessions will run every Monday, 16:30-18:15, starting on Monday 9 January 2023.
All sessions will take place here, at King's Maths School.
The school is located centrally, and just a short walk away from Waterloo, Lambeth North and Elephant and Castle stations. Local bus routes include 3, 59, 159, 344 and 360.
High attaining year 12 students from non-selective state schools who are considering applying to Oxford, Cambridge or Imperial College to study Mathematics, or a joint honours Mathematics course would be ideal – but any student considering studying Mathematics at university would be welcome.
Since our mission is to widen participation in mathematical sciences degrees and careers, we’ll prioritise places for students who:
- attend non-selective schools
- have been eligible for Free School Meals in any of the past 6 years
- live or have lived in local authority care, are a young carer, or are disabled
- are traditionally underrepresented in the mathematical sciences at HE, namely Black African, Black Caribbean, and Gypsy, Roma and traveller students
- Students living socio-economically disadvantaged areas (measured by ACORN)
- Students with special educational needs
How to apply
Applications for the Year 12 programme will open on the 6th November.