MESME Maths Circle
A Maths Circle is a group of students who come together to grapple with intriguing puzzles, discover and explore exciting ideas and learn to think like mathematicians. MESME is a long-term programme and students who join in year 7 will be guaranteed a place on the programme for their entire school journey. Our experience is that the students who most enjoy the Circles are high-attainers who love problem-solving and imaginative, creative thinking.
See below for some examples of the sort of puzzles students will consider at our circles. You can also find out more about MESME maths circles on the MESME website.
We are running circles online via Zoom. Students need a device with a camera and a microphone, and a good enough internet/wifi connection.
Year 7 and Year 8: Sessions start on Thursday 18 January, 16:30-17:30 and will run through the Spring and Summer terms.
We are currently recruiting for applications from students who are currently in school Year 7 and Year 8 at our target schools. If you are not a student at one of our target schools you can still apply but your maths circle may be hosted by another provider.
Since our mission is to widen participation in mathematical sciences degrees and careers, we’ll prioritise places for students who:
- attend non-selective schools
- have been eligible for Free School Meals in any of the past 6 years
- live or have lived in local authority care, are a young carer, or are disabled
- are traditionally underrepresented in the mathematical sciences at HE, namely Black African, Black Caribbean, and Gypsy, Roma and traveller students
- Students living socio-economically disadvantaged areas (measured by ACORN)
- Students with special educational needs
How to apply?
To apply find your school on the MESME site and you will be redirected to your relevant delivery partner. Get involved — MESME.
We are currently recruiting on a rolling bases.