Extension Physics: University Admissions Prep
King’s Maths School are offering year 12 Extension Physics sessions.
This will be an opportunity to discuss challenging (but fun!) physics, and hence to develop problem-solving skills by extending Year 12 content to new situations. We will look at past British Physics Olympiad papers in preparation for the Senior Physics Challenge in March. In time, this will lead naturally to preparation for anybody considering a degree in Physics, Engineering or Natural Science (with Physics) at Oxford or Cambridge. Essentially the focus will be on meaningful physics enrichment. The sessions will be run by Mr. Pereira - an experienced physics specialist who led Y13 Oxbridge preparation at London Academy of Excellence and City of London School, before joining the team at King's Maths School.
Sessions will run every Thursday, 16:45-18:30 starting on Thursday 12 January 2023.
All sessions will take place here, at King's Maths School.
The school is located centrally, and just a short walk away from Waterloo, Lambeth North and Elephant and Castle stations. Local bus routes include 3, 59, 159, 344 and 360.
High attaining year 12 students from non-selective state schools who are considering applying to Oxford, Cambridge or Imperial College to study Physics, Engineering or Natural Sciences (with Physics) would be ideal – but any student considering studying Physics at university would be welcome.
Since our mission is to widen participation in mathematical sciences degrees and careers, we’ll prioritise places for students who:
- attend non-selective schools
- have been eligible for Free School Meals in any of the past 6 years
- live or have lived in local authority care, are a young carer, or are disabled
- are traditionally underrepresented in the mathematical sciences at HE, namely Black African, Black Caribbean, and Gypsy, Roma and traveller students
- Students living socio-economically disadvantaged areas (measured by ACORN)
- Students with special educational needs
How to apply
Applications for this academic year have now closed. If you would like to join the waiting list, please email KCLMSoutreach@kcl.ac.uk.