MESME Maths Circle
A Maths Circle is a group of students who come together to grapple with intriguing puzzles, discover and explore exciting ideas and learn to think like mathematicians. MESME is a long-term programme and students who join in year 7 will be guaranteed a place on the programme for their entire school journey. Our experience is that the students who most enjoy the Circles are high-attainers who love problem-solving and imaginative, creative thinking.
See below for some examples of the sort of puzzles students will consider at our circles. You can also find out more about MESME maths circles on the MESME website.
We are running one Maths Circle in person at King's Maths School, and another circle online.
In person sessions all take place in the student building here, at King’s Maths School. The school is located centrally, and just a short walk away from Waterloo, Lambeth North and Elephant and Castle stations. Local bus routes include 3, 59, 159, 344 and 360.
All sessions start in January and will run through the Spring and Summer terms.
Both the online and in person Maths Circles are Mondays 16:30-17:30. For online sessions students need a device with a camera and a microphone, and a good enough internet/wifi connection.
We are currently recruiting on a rolling basis for applications from students who are currently in school Year 7 at our target schools. If you are not a student at one of our target schools you can still apply but your maths circle may be hosted by another provider.
Since our mission is to widen participation in mathematical sciences degrees and careers, we’ll prioritise places for students who:
- attend non-selective schools
- have been eligible for Free School Meals in any of the past 6 years
- live or have lived in local authority care, are a young carer, or are disabled
- are traditionally underrepresented in the mathematical sciences at HE, namely Black African, Black Caribbean, and Gypsy, Roma and traveller students
- Students living socio-economically disadvantaged areas (measured by ACORN)
- Students with special educational needs