Outreach - For Teachers
Teaching a 'top set' in KS4: success now, success later
A series of seven online sessions in Jan/Feb 2021. The National Curriculum says that students “who grasp concepts rapidly should be challenged through being offered rich and sophisticated problems before any acceleration through new content”:this sounds lovely in theory, but how do we provide this in practice?
Robert Wilne will suggest an answer to this question. In the course you will examine and reflect on questions and tasks that
- catalyse students’ mathematical reasoning
- strengthen their problem-solving resilience
- deepen their conceptual understanding
- improve their procedural fluency
Here's the key course information:
- There are seven hour-long sessions, each one focusing on a particular GCSE topic.
- Each session is offered twice: 16:00-17:00 on a Tuesday, and 17:30-18:30 on a Wednesday. Sessions will be on Zoom.
- You can attend one, some or all the sessions: whichever interest you.
- The CPD is free, there is no charge to register or attend.
To register your interest, please fill in this short form.
Further Maths Professional Development
King's Maths School has been running courses to enhance teachers' understanding of the subject content and associated pedagogy of A Level Further Mathematics. Most recently Robert Wilne, a highly experienced sixth-form teacher and PD leader, led six online 2-hour sessions focusing on the bigger picture and finer detail of the key core pure topics in May and June 2020. For further details, see the dedicated course page.
We hope to repeat this course again in the future.
If you would like to be added to our mailing list for mathematics teachers please enter your details here: join our outreach mailing list.